Week 10

Passang Lhamo

When I read through Sophocles ,it was different from what I read before.  From  the first part of Sophocles,  I somehow felt the story gonna be some kind of tragic and mystery.  The first form of light and darkness is knowledge is present in the play by Sophocles, The very first example of this is spoken by Oedipus at the beginning of the play when he says, “I must bring what is dark to light” in reference to the mystery of Laius’ death. I think his is the first and most obvious example, and it sets the stage for the use of light and darkness to represent knowledge throughout the the play.  I immediately realize that the story is going to be darkness vs light. Thank God I was right when read carefully. Because throughout the play I found the writer use irony in his play. Even though people who have sight to see the real but failed to see what the depth of reality however ones who are blind seems to be smarter than normal people. For example I believe Teiresias, the only physically blind character, is the only person that throughout the play can actually see what has, is and will happen. Teiresias charges Oedipus, “but I say that you, with both your eyes, are blind!” he makes the reference not to his physical state but to his mental state. Teiresias also says: “you do not even know the blind wrongs you have done” referring to Oedipus’s unknown incestuous relationship and the murder of his father.  I found it kind of irony because although Oedipus is not blind but he was blind with his mother and wife. Light and darkness (sight and blindness) takes on three different forms throughout the play, the first form refers to knowledge, the second to physical light and the third to truth of king laius death. This made me realize that we should not judge people from outside sometimes people who are blind may be smarter than us.

At the beginning of Sophocles’ play, Oedipus is faced with all the problems of Thebes, the city he is to rule.  Throughout book I realize God plays important role in Odiphus because at first with Oedipus, the gods decided to destroy him and his family for no reason. It might be hard to believe that gods can have humanistic traits, but in fact they do. The gods, especially Apollo, are considered evil in my because they destroyed an innocent man’s life and his family. I Can relate Sophocles and Odyssey because throughout the Oedipus and Odysseus journey God are represent fate and shown as evil because they didn’t help them but instead they harm them. The role of God in these stories taught me In life sometimes you should follow your heart  that not all god are god like not not all people are kind.