week 13

When I first heard about “Dante: The comedy” I thought it would be the story about some African story or mystery because of that name. When I go through the book from the first canto it catches reader attention mentioning about forest as he finds himself wandering alone in a dark forest, having lost his way on the “true path” (I.10). He says that he does not remember how he lost his way, but he has wandered into a fearful place, a dark and tangled valley. Above, he sees a great hill that seems to offer protection from the shadowed glen. This made me realize that may be author use forest to symbolize about his current situation of his life.    Through out the  text it becoming more scarier when woods can talk like human. and finally met vigil Italian poet and  warns Dante, however, that before they have to  climb the hill  to first pass through the place of eternal punishment (Hell) and then a place of lesser punishment (Purgatory); only then can they reach God’s city (Heaven). Encouraged by Virgil’s assurances, Dante sets forth with his guide. I thought it is very strange because he is human as I know hell is seen by death person. this is very strange This woman was Beatrice, Dante’s departed love, who now has an honored place among the blessed. She had learned of Dante’s plight from St. Lucia, also in Heaven, who in turn heard about the poor poet from an unnamed lady, most likely the Virgin Mary. I was shocked how they can communicate from heaven to hell. This is very unrealistic in my opinion.Virgil also explain Hell’s sinners as people who have “lost the good of the intellect.” I think this word speak thousand words.  Through Canto 1 to 10 I feel like Dante right now he is in the lightest sin place and I feel like he had mile of journey to reach his destination.